Natural gas is a highly efficient source of energy, and can power everything from furnaces to water heaters, stove tops and fireplaces. Most of us can count at least a few appliances in our homes that are fueled by gas. Many people think that connecting and disconnecting gas lines can be a DIY project, but the truth is, only a professional gas fitter can ensure that the job is done safely and accurately.
If you’re thinking about moving gas lines or connecting to appliances on your own, here are a just a few reasons you should consider calling a pro instead:
- Risk of Fire. Natural gas is extremely combustible – which is what makes it such a great source of energy. That also means that gas that is leaking from a poor connection, even in small amounts, can ignite easily and cause a fire or even an explosion.
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. Natural gas that does not completely burn up creates carbon monoxide. This can happen as a result of improper installation of lines or appliances, or inadequate venting. Carbon monoxide can lead to severe illness or even death if left undetected.
- Insurance. Damage to your home as a result of faulty work that was not completed by a professional will often be disputed by your insurance company. This means that costs for repairs could end up being out of pocket if something does go wrong.
- Resale. If you plan to sell your home, or just want to retain its value, being able to certify that all of your gas fitting work was completed by a professional will help to demonstrate your investment in the safety of your house.
It’s clear the rewards are not worth the risk with DIY gas fitting. Call the friendly pros at Rite Tech for all of your gas fitting needs!